The Midway Monsters burst onto the scene in 2003. They didn’t waste any time either, as they would finish the regular season with a 10-3 record and the #2 seed. Championship hopes were quickly squashed as the defending champions Bashers eliminated them in the first round.
Their next chance at the big prize would come in 2009. They finished the season with a 7-5 record, which was good enough for the number three seed in the playoffs. The Monsters made quick work of the Jesters in the 1st round (102-55) and went on to upset the reigning back-to-back champion IcEbAy bAsHeRs in the Championship Game.
This Monsters championship run was fueled by their studly WR core. DeSean Jackson, Andre Johnson, and Miles Austin were all in the top 4 for WR scoring. If Calvin Johnson (their #1 pick) had lived up to to his potential, it would have been truly legendary.
That would mark the only Championship so far for the Midway Monsters. They’ve had numerous successful regular seasons since then, but just haven’t been able to take it all. In 2016, they even made it back to the Championship Game, but would lose to the Irish Pride (89-114).
The last two seasons were the first time in franchise history that they’ve had back-to-back losing seasons (3-9, 4-8). Was this a fluke or is this the downfall to a once strong contender?
UPDATE: 2020 marked the 3rd straight losing season for the Midway Monsters. What is happening??
- Career Regular Season Record: 103-102-1 (0.500)
- Regular Season Titles: 3 (2013, 2015, 2016)
- Career Playoff Record: 3-5 0.375
- League Championships: 1 (2009)
- Best Regular Season Record: 10-3 (2003)
- Worst Regular Season Record: 2-10 (2012)
- Highest Scoring Week: 142.92 (2019)
- Lowest Scoring Week: 21.17 (2010)
- Longest Winning Streak: 7 (2016)
- Longest Losing Streak: 6 (2012, 2018)